Madison W. Wade was an early American photographer through the late 19th to early 20th centuries. His pioneering photographic techniques of the 1890’s led to the concept of the “Ping-Pong photo” which revolutionized the professional photographic studios of the early 1900’s.
Wade came up with the original idea for producing Ping-Pong photographs, which he named the “little photo”, while working for Mr. Chas. T. Pomeroy, a photographer from Kansas City, Mo. Wade began publicly selling his small portrait concept to the public on July 17, 1897. It was a huge success. Over the next four years he produced over 500,000 photo’s. Wade then moved to Colorado opening a photo studio in Denver. In 1901, Wade moved to Ohio and opened 5 galleries. The main gallery was located in Akron on 207 E. Market St. Of the remaining four, two were located in Columbus, one in Canton, and one in Massilon.