Ethel Standiford-Mehlingan (1871–1963) was an artist and photographer born in Jackson County, Kentucky, in the late 19th century. She studied to be a teacher but instead apprenticed to a photographer. By 1901 she owned and operated the Standiford Photographic Studio in Louisville, Kentucky. In the early part of the 20th century she experimented with early photographic techniques such as the autochrome Lumiere and photo-viewing devices such as the diascope. An example of her early photography is the autochrome Lumiere diascope of two of the children of Eleanor Silliman Belknap Humphrey.
Standiford-Mehlingan moved the Standiford Photographic Studio from Louisville to Cleveland, Ohio in 1919, locating first in the Gage Gallery of Fine Arts, then in the Chilcote Building (1925), and subsequently in the Hickox Building at 1030 Euclid Avenue, where she worked into the 1930s. She was awarded prizes for her photographs of Cleveland’s elite of the 1920s and 1930s at the Cleveland Museum of Art exhibitions. A collection of her work, including photographic portraits of important citizens of Cleveland, is held by the Western Reserve Historical Society. One of her portraits and a statement about the portrait may be found in The American Annual of Photography.